Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First 3D Printed Semiautomatic Firearm

First 3D Printable Semiautomatic Firearm

***UPDATE: Files available on Defcad.com and Fosscad Twitter!***
    I have designed a .22 LR Semiautomatic firearm. Unlike former designs such as the Shuty, this design uses almost all plastic parts (All non-plastic parts currently except the FCG cannot physically be plastic or a semiautomatic will not function) and uses weights to bring the bolt to a correct weight. You will need the following parts:
    *3D Printer with ABS capability
    *AR-15 FCG
    *AR-15 Buffer Spring
    *Ruger 10/22 Mag Spring
    *AR-15 Firing Pin
    *1x8mm metal insert (Case extraction)
    *.44 bullets to weigh down bolt (More info in the .readme)

The barrel uses an insert around the case, but then the rest of it has a plastic bore, which means it is pre-rifled and therefore complies with the ATF.

Magazines available in 10 and 30 round versions. NOTE, although they are based off of 10/22 magazines, they MUST be printed as they contain a built in mag-catch and will NOT work in a 10/22 rifle.

Credit to nilsson for original 10/22 magazine design and Shanrilivan for the part of the frame that holds the FCG, which was derived from the Charon v3.0.

Suggestions are welcome, testers even more so.

EDIT: Just to confirm, these plans are from the group Fosscad. Also, it appears the name Brick has stuck and there is nothing I can do about it, lol.

Renderings:

Right View:

Left View:

Transparent View:

CAD Files will be located on http://twitter.com/fosscad SHORTLY! EDIT: NOW!
    Last edited by Proteus; 09-26-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed!

Administrator
    now whos going to put it to the test
    Everything you experience in life is thought, and the beauty of that and the glory of this is that thought is yours to do anything you want.

I would love to see it tested, but can you make the barrel any thicker? it might be a good idea to do that if you can.

Also I am rather excited to see an almost fully 3d printable semi-auto, this is certainly a step in the right direction, when we can print a FCG...
    For a name, I suggest "brick" or "the brick", you know why .
    Last edited by abowden; 09-24-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Extremely nice! This is a big step, really good!

This is awesome Proteus, This is what many of us have been waiting for and striving for ourselves. I was basing one on the Invatec - tec22 paltform, but this is similar in design. Hope to see the files up soon. Great work!!!

Senior Member OpenSourceArmorer's Avatar
    You continue to be one of the forum regulars that never ceases to impress me. Very well done Proteus!

I think we could all benefit from a nominal "tester" who lives outside US jurisdiction.
    Think of it a world of plenty, with easy localized manufacture of almost anything you might need. It's a world in which "that should be illegal" becomes a punch line. - JD Tuccille

Prosecute Violence, not Possession: http://exm.nr/12RDXfL + http://bit.ly/15osFE8

Why 3D-Printing Firearms/Components Should Be Legal: https://bitly.com/3DprintUFA

Surely this could be tested in US jurisdiction? If only we had someone with the resources to do regular testing on all these things, maybe that's something defense distributed could do? They can't release files, but nothing is stopping them from testing other peoples designs and recommending changes? They are a "not for profit R&D firm" after all. I have a feeling the reason they aren't is because they are working on some designs of their own, but simply can't release them yet, due to ITAR. I hope for the day someone comes along with the time, recources and legality to test all this stuff. It would make development progress much faster.

Neat. My next design was fully printed semi with a chamber insert, I have just been procrastinating.

First of all, the files are up on both FOSSCAD twitter and Defcad.com, get them while they're hot!

Quote Originally Posted by abowden
    I would love to see it tested, but can you make the barrel any thicker? it might be a good idea to do that if you can.
    Barrel would ordinarily be quite thin, however I was intending for someone to print the barrel in a stronger material such as PETT and PC which are widely available in filaments. Also, the metal insert add a lot of strength since the area around the case takes a lot of stress.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenSourceArmorer
    I think we could all benefit from a nominal "tester" who lives outside US jurisdiction.
    U.S. tester is fine, it just can't be in California because of Zip gun laws or New York because of 3d printing laws. I happen to be in the first. Testing is very important, there will definitely be something wrong with the design that will appear either in printing or firing that is impossible to foresee now.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGunNut
    My next design was fully printed semi with a chamber insert
    One of the problems with semiautomatic is that there are certain parts that MUST be in metal. The chamber insert, for example: Without it you will only get one shot off. While I have actually printed some ABS sine springs, they are really only for magazines and I doubt the buffer spring could be used for that. Perhaps in Taulmans Nylon? The firing pin, if it worked at all, would be extremely unreliable in printed form.

However, the AR-15 FCG can definitely be done in plastic. In fact, NFA (Not NFA law, NFA company) has already done so, but their polymer FCGs only come with the lower. In its current form, though, the FCG does not print well (I have tried).
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed!

Quote Originally Posted by survivor View Post
    Wow! This looks like another game changer. Assuming this was tested outside of US jurisdictional boundaries.... Would not a full auto version be possible as well? I would assume there might problems with heat and pressure build up. But would not the mechanics of a semi auto version be much the same as full auto version?
    Certainly. Fully automatic would actually be EASIER than a semiautomatic to design (open bolt). However... I do not want to do this at this time because of the legal implications. But Fully automatic would be simple to create, including a printed custom FCG.
    Last edited by Proteus; 09-24-2013 at 11:33 PM.